Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > TDV8 owners - what diesel ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
carlos50

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black
TDV8 owners - what diesel ?

Hi all

I have a 56 plate TDV8 Vogue and wonder what diesel is best in terms of mpg, performance and cleaning properties?

I have ran high performance petrol cars on high octance stuff such as Shell Optimax, Tesco Momentum etc for years with good results and I see that some of the big names offer super diesels.

I put a tank of BP Ultimate diesel in the tank today and was quite shocked to see an 11p per litre price difference so my question is, is the super diesel worth the extra and how does it compare to normal supermarket diesel and also branded diesel from Shell, BP etc?

I've read super diesels are worth the extra but I think the cost increase may be a bit OTT.

I've posted on here about my mpg being a little low hence why I have opted for a change from supermarket diesel into the best of the best so to speak.

Sorry if this is a recurring question, I'm new to V8 diesel power.

Thanks

Carl

Post #77262 23rd Aug 2011 5:34pm
Autobiography

2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black
Re: TDV8 owners - what diesel ?

Was told just regular diesel by the dealer for my 4.4TDV8. Get really good economy so wouldn't bother spending the extra 11p or so a litre.

Post #77263 23rd Aug 2011 5:42pm
carlos50

Thanks Autobiography, I was there at the pump so filled up today but I'm not sure I'd see much improvement in mpg, performance or refinement to he honest hence my post on here.

Do you use supermarket diesel or branded like Shell, BP etc? I have heard that the supermarket stuff is minimum grade whereas the branded stuff should have additives LOL

Post #77264 23rd Aug 2011 5:47pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

dont know whether its been suggested but have a look and see if you have a dirty air filter..

Post #77265 23rd Aug 2011 5:51pm
carlos50

I've checked the air filter, its a bit dirty but not black, it was replaced 2 years ago and approx 18k miles ago so I assume its still ok?

Post #77266 23rd Aug 2011 6:02pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

its just that i replaced mine and the mpg went up a bit..worth a try especially after 2 years or take it out for a bit to see if it makes any difference....and i've tried different diesel suppliers with no difference found on my td6..

Post #77267 23rd Aug 2011 6:07pm
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Superdiesel certainly isn't worth the extra! I used to run on Sainsbury's forecourt diesel but for the last 2 years have run almost exclusively on Shell Regular diesel - after burning 3 full tanks of the Shell my mpg had increaded from 26 to 29 and now I regularly see 31 mpg on my 16 mile drive into town. 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #77277 23rd Aug 2011 6:55pm
carlos50

I may try Shell after this tank then, I know my local Shell garage is more than Tesco but if I can hope to see a 10% increase I think it will be worth it.

Post #77278 23rd Aug 2011 7:11pm
Autobiography

2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I never use supermarket Diesel. I used to use supermarket Petrol but after that issue a few years ago I haven't touched it since. I also seem to get better mpg on Shell/BP etc.

Post #77331 23rd Aug 2011 10:29pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Best thing you can do with a diesel is get some biodiesel mixed in a few 100 miles before its next service, this helps clean out all the gunge in the tank and the system far better than any performance diesel or additive IME and helps bring the car back in line with what it should be like. i'd reccomend putting no more than say 30 litres in to a tank and then topping up with normal diesel as each biodiesel supplier varies in quality from my own experience Sad Some are good and some are just a Thud

Im waiting till pay day this week and getting some in mine as part of my service at home and some other bits i need to do before towing our new monster caravan home Smile

Post #77386 24th Aug 2011 8:06am
johnson1

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

30 litres is too high according to the handbook and will damage the engine. See below:

DIESEL ENGINED VEHICLES
Land Rover recommends that only premium brand diesel fuels are used.
Note: Land Rover vehicles are capable of running with up to a 5% blend of bio-diesel in accordance with European Standard EN590

So only just over 5 litres.

Post #77392 24th Aug 2011 8:46am
kingpleb

5% is only there because all fuels need to be a 5% bio blend now so no matter what garage you go to its already got a tiny bit of bio in it but not enough to really clean your system out, even 30litres in a tank as big as the FFRR isn't too much really once diluted by another 74.5 litres...

Post #77394 24th Aug 2011 8:48am
johnson1

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

What would it do to your warranty though if you've gone 'against' LR guidelines and it messes up your engine?

Post #77395 24th Aug 2011 9:01am
kingpleb

It would be flushed out after a few tank fulls after and it would have to be very strange for them to dip your tank to test what was in there. Also the dilution would be such that as you have had the car a while and if a remanent remains whats to say the previous owner hasn't done it?

Its the same with the additives yet people still shove them in the tank, do any of them say on the bottle they won't affect your warranty??

Post #77397 24th Aug 2011 9:22am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

johnson1 wrote:
What would it do to your warranty though if you've gone 'against' LR guidelines and it messes up your engine?

You shouldn't need to worry about putting bio diesel in your fuel tank in a car that is under warranty, it's simply not necessary.
The bacterial build up in diesel fuel tanks and fuel lines etc ie "gunge" takes a few years to establish itself far more than a normal warranty period.
Just stick to "normal "diesel.
If you feel need the need to chemically clean out your fuel tank just stick a 3 litre bottle of new vegetable oil in the tank every now and again when you fill up.
Be prepared eventually to change the fuel filter if you do though the stripped "gunge" collects in it.
Also works wonders at mot time in reducing exhaust smoke emmisions.

Post #77398 24th Aug 2011 9:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>