Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L405) > Another Dashcam installation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
chicb

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Barossa
Another Dashcam installation

I recently bought a 2021 Range Rover Fifty & decided to install the Viofo dashcam that I had removed from my Range Rover Sport. Noticed that Powerfull UK now sell a plug in wiring kit which seemed a no brainer as on the Sport I had to splice in the power feed. Part ordered & delivered so removed the overhead console. After trying everything, there was no way to feed the cable through. (They did it on a 2013 model with no sunroof & it was easy) Anyway I then decided to drill a hole n the panel that the docking lugs locate in. Had to be a fairly large hole as the supplied usb connector is right angled. Still could not feed the cable, so unclipped the plastic shroud above the mirror. I then removed the mirror. It is held on with two steel clips gripping a slide. Idea is to slide it off, no way. I then got two vey small hammers & simultaneously tapped a small wing either side of the mirror housing & as soon as there was a little movement it was easy to slide off & unplug. I put some silicone grease on the clips for ease of reassembly. Plenty room for feeding the cable. Then discovered the supplied usb was different to the usb in my dashcam, so had to order an adaptor. Paused the fitting, not a problem as I have other cars. While waiting & on the net I came across a firm called FITCAMX that supplied the camera built into the shroud below the mirror. Great idea, making it like it was OEM. Censored the Viofo, order in, delivery from China 6 to 10 days (came in about 6 days) When ordering they show a a picture of a few different lower shrouds & you pick the one the same as your car. Mine was model 6111. Also they send you an email almost by return asking you to forward a picture of your lower shroud to ensure the correct item is sent.
Package arrived, really top end box, opened it & there was a new shroud with the camera installed, looked OEM, could not fault it, two small wiring harnesses, one for fitting as per Powerfull UK & other for fitting using the rear view mirror power which meant you do not have to remove the overhead console. Had mine not already been off that is what I would have done. They also supply a 64b memory card.
Fed the wire through, so easy, connector is round with a slot so it cannot be fitted wrongly, wiring harness plugged in & overhead console clipped back, literally a one minute job. Refitted the top shroud, clips in, plugged wiring socket into the rear view mirror & slid it on to guide & pushed it home. Bottom shroud with camera just clips in, totally as per the original. Switched car on & camera switches on. Couple of lights to show its working, unfortunately they are on the passenger side, but not a big deal. Pair wifi to your phone, add FITCAMX app to phone. This is where I thought I would have problems but totally seamless, worked first time. You can either view footage on the phone or remove memory card & view through PC. They also include an adaptor to fit the memory card which then plugs into the PC.
Early days yet but if you don't like thing stuck to your screen this is what Land Rover should supply
Now got a spare Viofo & wiring harness Big Cry Whistle
See pics in my gallery

Post #702286 16th Oct 2024 10:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1