Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > New to forum & new to Range Rover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RG2024

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black
New to forum & new to Range Rover

Just an introduction post, I'm not a prolific poster on forums but I'll be on here quite a lot in the near future mainly reading & learning about the L322 and probably looking for parts. I've already spent a lot of time reading articles on here and learnt a lot, it seems a really helpful and friendly forum especially compared with others I've been on previously (other car makes).

It's my first foray into the Land Rover world having owned only German cars before, mostly VWs. We recently moved to somewhere more rural and I've quickly realised that the family car is going to take a hammering with country roads & young children, well I convinced my Wife of that so I have an excuse to get another car. Being a hopeless car obsessive I decided I also needed something to keep me busy as my other cars seem to be behaving fairly well and life was getting too easy. So the most logical thing to me was to buy something that is expensive to run & probably going to need work on it at frequent intervals at great expense; most of my friends & family think I'm a lunatic.

I've done most types of jobs on my old VWs and I like the satisfaction I get from doing even simple jobs, even after original swearing combinations and cut knuckles. That's not to say those jobs have completely prepared me for this car which I can already see is a very different project. It's a different era in terms of tech but I'm looking forward to the learning curve and getting stuck in. No doubt there will be times where I regret some life choices, buying a 'cheap' high mileage Range Rover for example but my plan is to keep this for the foreseeable, give it some much needed TLC and over time bring back some of its former glory.

It's on just over 200k miles which tells me it's probably been a pretty good workhorse to have got to that mileage. It's had an MOT fail on track rod ends and suspension arms, and needs handbrake cables adjusting. Aside from that, having only had it just over a day and not a lot of time to look round it yet, the bodywork is tired as I'd expect for an 18 year old high mileage car, same story with the interior, I think there's an issue with the air suspension compressor as I can hear it running when I have the boot carpet lifted and the engine running, the infotainment system doesn't work I've already found one of the cables ominously detached inside the rear compartment, and a few other bits and pieces like that. No doubt plenty more to come as I get into it.

I'd wanted a green or blue colour but I saw this black one come up on eBay and thought it looked very smart. I think I got it for a fair price but no doubt time will reveal not so much, but the main thing is I've got one, it seems a decent base to start with and hopefully an impressive car saved from being forgotten.

I've already got a long to do list, the MOT fail points are first of course and while I'm around those areas I'll be looking for other jobs, I prefer preventative rather than reactive but sometimes things let go without warning. I'm planning to change ALL the fluids (there's rather a lot on this compared with my VWs), filters, plugs etc and then focus on the air suspension compressor and the infotainment. I mostly keep cars true to their original form and that's my plan for this, with maybe a few subtle changes if I think they're justified/tasteful. It does have a wishful Overfinch badge on the back, it wasn't advertised as one and it isn't one. It could be a bad sign of things to come. It won't be sticking on there for long either way. '95 VW Corrado VR6
'97 VW Golf VR6
'16 VW Golf R Estate
'23 Porsche Taycan GTS

Just bought '06 Range Rover 4.2 Supercharged

Post #702187 15th Oct 2024 9:21am
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Welcome.

Plenty of fellow lunatics on here. If you fill out your car profile we can see what model your car is. Will help folks when they offer advice etc, though appreciate it’s in your signature.

I’m on the 9th year with mine. Still think it’s a cracking motor.

Have you got any pictures?

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #702193 15th Oct 2024 9:55am
MPx

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Waitomo Grey

Brave man - well done. I still think the 4.2SC was one of the best fatty's ever made. If its reasonable to you, you'll learn to love it and struggle to find anything else even nearly as capable or such a lovely place to be. Best of luck with it. Mike - MPx

2017 5.0 V8 Supercharged SVAutobigraphy Dynamic SVO Palette Grey (2021-...)
2012 5.0 V8 Supercharged Autoboigraphy Orkney Grey (2017-2021)
2007 4.2 V8 Supercharged Vogue SE Tonga Green (2012-2017)
2002 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonnatti Grey (2008-2012)

Post #702194 15th Oct 2024 10:00am
Scouse Exile

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Welcome Sir!

Post #702195 15th Oct 2024 10:13am
RG2024

Ooh I thought I'd filled that part in. On my Profile I've entered the details under My Range Rover, it won't let me put the colour in for some reason, could that be what's stopping it from showing?

Just realised I added the photo which is now my avatar but I didn't click it to add it to my post. Aside from the eBay pictures (of which there were just 4) I don't have any of my own yet. I had it recovered to my house on Sunday, brought the kids out so they could watch it come off the truck, had a little play around with it on the drive and then last night went out with a torch in the rain to have a better look around it without the kids jumping about and asking me every question in the world about the new car.

I'll hopefully get some warts and all photos for posterity on the weekend which I can add. '95 VW Corrado VR6
'97 VW Golf VR6
'16 VW Golf R Estate
'23 Porsche Taycan GTS

Post #702196 15th Oct 2024 10:25am
RG2024

Aha, set it all to nothing and saved it and then it worked. I'd jumped the gun in excitement and filled everything in except the colour as I didn't know which black at the time.

'95 VW Corrado VR6
'97 VW Golf VR6
'16 VW Golf R Estate
'23 Porsche Taycan GTS

Post #702197 15th Oct 2024 10:27am
PaulTyrer

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Cairns Blue

Welcome!
Loads of good information and help on here, in fact is was a member here (Dolphinboy) that assisted in us getting our latest Fatty (Called Rodney!), a Cairns Blue 4.2 Supercharged, also an 05/06 model.

We have had six Range Rovers now, started off with a manual 3.5 litre Classis (Vinyl trim, Carb engine) through 2 3.9 Injection V8 Classics, a 4.6 P38, a 4.4V8 L322 petrol (that we had for 14 years) and now a 4.2 Supercharged. This one is a bl**y rocket ship!!

Ours has the rear DVD entertainment system (we dont have kids but have dogs so they can watch 'Lassie'!), Touchscreen head unit , Cream Leather with Piano Black trim

Keep them serviced and they will look after you, they are a superb motor!

Post #702198 15th Oct 2024 10:38am
RG2024

Nice, I like the colour. I'd initially thought I wanted a later classic V8 model as I love the way they look and thought it would look fantastic on the drive. But for the money I'd realistically have to spend just to get one I didn't like the idea of it then getting muddy & maybe clipping a few hedges. I read about the L322 and thought it would be the better choice for my situation, and whilst I prefer the look of the classic I still think these look very good.

Mine has the tvs in the headrests, but I don't know if or how those are supposed to work, one for later. The kids don't need any more screen time. It's a cream/beige interior but that needs a good clean to reveal its true colour!

It was definitely the 4.2 for me, I always wanted a V8 and something supercharged. I love the sound this makes and the performance was obviously part of my thought process! I'm looking forward to driving something that's so different to anything else I've had. '95 VW Corrado VR6
'97 VW Golf VR6
'16 VW Golf R Estate
'23 Porsche Taycan GTS

Post #702218 15th Oct 2024 1:38pm
PaulTyrer

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Cairns Blue

You are probably aware that it is the same engine that is fitted to the Jaguar XKR

Post #702219 15th Oct 2024 2:31pm
bigbo

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Great choice of car, right engine right year, but i may be a little biased!

in case you don't know you will need 2 different manuals 2002 to 2005 and the 2007 to 2010 as this car fits in between, There is also a 2006 wiring diagrams.

There is no adjustment on the handbrake cables so its quite possible that if you cannot get good efficiency of the handbrake with the drum adjusters you will need new cables.

Hope all goes well for you as others have said these are awesome cars.

David Range Rover 4.2 Supercharged 2006
Ford Focus EcoBoost 1.5 2017
MG TF 2003

Previous Cars of note
Land Rover Discovery 2
Jaguar Mk2 3.8 - Company car
MG Midget 1974 - Concours

Post #702223 15th Oct 2024 3:20pm
RG2024

PaulTyrer wrote:
You are probably aware that it is the same engine that is fitted to the Jaguar XKR

I certainly am. I had a lift in one a while back and I really liked the interior, the performance & the sound it made. But a Jag would not go through puddles and move kids around as well as the Range Rover would. Maybe next time I'm looking for another car! '95 VW Corrado VR6
'97 VW Golf VR6
'16 VW Golf R Estate
'23 Porsche Taycan GTS

Post #702238 15th Oct 2024 6:03pm
RG2024

bigbo wrote:
Great choice of car, right engine right year, but i may be a little biased!

in case you don't know you will need 2 different manuals 2002 to 2005 and the 2007 to 2010 as this car fits in between, There is also a 2006 wiring diagrams.

There is no adjustment on the handbrake cables so its quite possible that if you cannot get good efficiency of the handbrake with the drum adjusters you will need new cables.

Hope all goes well for you as others have said these are awesome cars.

David

Thanks for the info there. I had been getting the idea that mine could possibly bridge the period of changes. I've already downloaded a lot of stuff from the Wiki so I'll sort through it all in time and make sure I've got everything you've mentioned.

I've read a post about handbrake drum adjusters, it sounds totally different to the way the VWs are adjusted so it doesn't make much sense to me having not seen the setup. I'm counting on it making sense when I've been and had a look at it and start poking around. The previous owner said the cables were replaced around 12 months ago, maybe they weren't fitted right. If I need to replace them so be it. I was able to move around on my drive whilst having forgotten the handbrake was still engaged without any issues so it definitely needs sorting! '95 VW Corrado VR6
'97 VW Golf VR6
'16 VW Golf R Estate
'23 Porsche Taycan GTS

Post #702239 15th Oct 2024 6:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1