Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > No headlight main beams
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
firstrr

England 2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV6 Santorini Black
No headlight main beams

I’m 5 weeks into owning my first RR - a 2019 L405 Autobiography SDV6, and first used it in the dark a couple of days ago. I then found that the main beam did not work in either headlight with the stalk pressed down or pulled toward to flash - the blue dash light does light up. I purchased the car with a fresh MOT and service and of course the dealer says all was ok when I bought it.
I have plugged my home code reader in and the fault codes are B1D02 (23) and B1D03 (23). Body Control Module / Gateway Module.
The head lights are pixel LED units with high beam assist and adaptive. I have gone into the dash menu options and selected manual for all settings but in any event the manual states that the stalk always overrides auto and operates the main beam on demand. The blue light does come on the dash when operating the stalk.
Before I press ahead with anything, does anyone have experience of this or knowledge of what the likely problem might be. Any advice welcome (friendly of course!)

Post #700944 27th Sep 2024 3:45pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aintree Green

I’d be interested to see the responses. My new car, a 2021 MY P525 has the same light set up and whilst I’ve yet to drive it in the dark, it seems odd to me that I can’t keep the headlight switch in the on position, as I discovered when I wanted to switch the headlights on in low light conditions during a recent journey in pouring rain.

Post #700949 27th Sep 2024 6:24pm
Kot

United Kingdom 
Re: No headlight main beams

Does your code reader also clear DTC's? If it does not, get a cheap Autel AP200 or similar, clear all codes and see if it fixes the problem or if it returns.
If it is a permanent DTC then below is extract from Workshop manual B1D03-23 is RH side, it gives you a starting point.

B1D02-23
Left High Beam Circuit - Signal stuck low
Left headlamp high beam circuit short circuit to power, short circuit to ground, open circuit, high resistance,

Left headlamp LIN bus circuit short circuit to power, short circuit to ground, open circuit high resistance
Left headlamp assembly internal failure
NOTE:
To validate the repair firstly run the engine for 30 seconds
and check the left headlamp high beam function, then use
the Jaguar Land Rover approved diagnostic equipment to
check this DTC is no longer set within the body control
module
Refer to the electrical circuit diagrams and check the left headlamp
high beam circuit for short circuit to power, short circuit to ground,
open circuit, high resistance. Repair the wiring harness as
necessary
Refer to the electrical circuit diagrams and check the left headlamp
LIN bus circuit for short circuit to power, short circuit to ground,
open circuit, high resistance. Repair the wiring harness as necessary
Using the Jaguar Land Rover approved diagnostic equipment, clear
the DTCs and retest. If the fault persists, install a new left
headlamp assembly
 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #700990 28th Sep 2024 10:20am
Kot

United Kingdom 

Andy S wrote:
I’d be interested to see the responses. My new car, a 2021 MY P525 has the same light set up and whilst I’ve yet to drive it in the dark, it seems odd to me that I can’t keep the headlight switch in the on position, as I discovered when I wanted to switch the headlights on in low light conditions during a recent journey in pouring rain.

I always keep mine in the Auto position, it comes on during low light conditions! Adaptive lights are amazing. Look also at the related information tab.

https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/docume...1/G2418244 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #700993 28th Sep 2024 10:47am
firstrr

Thanks Kot. Yes I’ve cleared the dtcs and the problem remains, no main beams although the blue dash light comes on when operating the stalk. It was a long shot but I thought that neither beam coming on might have been a quick fix from a members previous experience. I’ll have to work through the checklists when I get chance. Thanks again.

Post #701000 28th Sep 2024 12:18pm
firstrr

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So, as we all should, I started with basics and examined the wiring to the headlight units, they are pixel LED. Drivers side looked ok, then passenger side, a broken wire - see photo. Not a fresh break in my opinion so I reckon the MOT was dodgy from the dealer. Anyway, had to unbolt the one bolt from the coolant expansion tank to be able to remove the plug from the headlight. Fixed the wire and main beams working fine.
However, moving the coolant expansion tank caused the thin top pipe from the radiator to the expansion tank to break. Coolant on the floor when I started the engine. 🤬
Amazingly the local LR dealer had one on the shelf, apparently a common problem, they get brittle and break! Great!!

Post #701320 2nd Oct 2024 8:42pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

result ! Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

Y. O. L. O.

Post #701322 2nd Oct 2024 9:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1