Home > Technical (L322) > Seeking CANBUS experts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
btbtbtbt318

Australia 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.2 SC V8 Zambezi Silver
Seeking CANBUS experts

Hi All,

I've been writing a topic in the other part of the forum My 2006 4.2 SC, but in delving into the high speed CANBUS I'm getting very heavily into the technical bits and thought this part might be better placed here.

In short, car is throwing errors and seems to be having trouble communicating with the ABS module in particular which has been replaced already, and I wanted to check whether the bus itself is operating properly.

Given I'm cleaning all of the interior bits and carpets anyway, I'm disconnecting modules from the bus as I go and testing how it behaves. This has been a big job:

At the moment, I think I have every module the car has disconnected, so the only electronic item on the high speed bus other than the wires themselves is now the Instrument Cluster. I have a 120 Ohm resistor slotted into the bus pins at the ABS connector and the TCCM bridged, so the whole bus should and does read 120 Ohms at all of the disconnected connectors at this point which implies good continuity.

When I switch to accessories, the bus shorts. Fairly precisely 60 seconds after removing the key, not just switching back off, the bus un-shorts and starts reading 120 Ohms again. Is this normal behaviour for the bus?

Bonus question, is every pair of twisted YB/YN wires part of the high speed bus or can they be something else? If all high speed bus I have more modules to find somewhere.

Thanks!

Post #698280 18th Aug 2024 9:18am
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

Have you disconnected the PCM?

Post #698358 19th Aug 2024 12:03am
btbtbtbt318

Does every L322 have a PCM? Is that the parking brake module?

This car has an old fashioned cable driven handbrake with a lever, not a switch. I had somewhat convinced myself it doesn't have one...

Is this it in the picture?

Click image to enlarge

Post #698359 19th Aug 2024 1:16am
GraemeS

PCM - powertrain (engine) control module. However unlikely to cause the short circuit when switching on accessories but the BCM or whatever the main fuse box is called in your model sounds more likely.
Do you have a wiring diagram for the canbus? I have one for my MY12 but not for yours.

Post #698374 19th Aug 2024 11:07am
GraemeS

This for MY10-12 might be of some use.

https://www.fullfatrr.com/gallery/albums/u...peed~1.pdf

Post #698376 19th Aug 2024 11:12am
btbtbtbt318

Thanks Graeme.

Yes, have had the PCM disconnected then which doesn't seem to be the source.

The wiring is closest to the "L322 2006 wiring circuit diagrams" in the wiki, but notably not quite the same, the in/out pins on the PCM connector are reversed for one and also I don't think the transfer case module forms part of the spine. This document does say "VIN 239036 onwards (RHD)" and mine is about 5000 prior to that, which might make it an oddball changeover time vehicle.

I did manage to answer one of my other questions in that there are other non-CANBUS twisted YB/YN pairs which go to the mid range speakers in the B pillar from the amplifier in the rear.

Actually, at this point I'm thinking this shorting seeming behaviour might be normal and just an artefact of trying to read the system with a multimeter when it's active.

Good news at the moment is that I've managed to actually clear most of my errors in the modules and I think digging them out and fiddling with all of the connectors may have relieved some of the communications lost DTCs.

The suspension module might have been played with before and I am now wondering if that is the source of my issues, as it is the only module with a fault that won't clear now being "Invalid data from DSC (ABS) module". No other modules are complaining about data from the ABS module at this point.

Post #698509 21st Aug 2024 9:31am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

IIRC "Invalid data from DSC (ABS) module" is a "standard" always there fault..

When BMW sold up they left several fault codes that appear in all cars and I'm pretty sure that is one of them, should make no difference to the workings of the fatty.... There again, yours might be young enough to not have them..... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #698510 21st Aug 2024 9:56am
GraemeS

I assume that you have the e-diff introduced for the 4.2 SC but not the TR system which was introduced in MY07 and that your suspension module has a single connector, being pre-TR. Your diff housing should be the same as MY07 onwards for which the e-diff was optional.

Post #698511 21st Aug 2024 10:11am
btbtbtbt318

I am pretty certain I don't have the E diff despite being a supercharged. Housing looks like the attached and there are no electronics, solenoids or anything around it that I can see:

Meanwhile, I am still currently sitting with the suspension module being my problem. Despite being clearable, the ABS module has a consisted CA100 suspension module calibration/memory failure error coming up. I know that code should have two more numbers but my faultmate doesn't appear to be able to tell me any more.

This is the only consistent error I seem to have across all modules that isn't a "Lost communication" U code, or one of the other U codes I hear and have been told is normal and ignorable.

I'm tempted to pick up a second hand module as there are a couple available online for not that much money. Mine is a RQT500130 module which is apparently unique to 2006. There are also very similar looking RQT500181 modules which are apparently for 2007-2009. Any idea from anyone if these are interchangeable?

The RQT500130 is twice the price and is in the US which also means twice the delivery time, it would be good if I could get one of the RQT500181 modules which are available in the UK which typically delivers to Aus much faster in my experience.

For what it's worth I did just change all of the ABS sensors at the wheels which had no net effect.

Post #699104 30th Aug 2024 9:51am
btbtbtbt318

Well I've sourced a RQT500181 module and plugged it in, no particular change to the problems I'm having although I'm not 100% on whether it's 100% compatible or not.

New errors that came with putting in a new module are:
- C1A28 - Wrong number of LED's illuminated
- U1A35 - VIN Data - signal compare failure
- V1A84 - Vehicle configuration data - System programming failure - is not configured

Notably C1A00 missing calibration and U0416 invalid data from ABS are both still present.

Before receiving and changing the module I was playing with the calibration on the old one and the car could be made to sit at the right heights and pump itself up and down to do so, although it seemed as though the next time it started the heights would all be wrong again and needed to be calibrated every time. It does drop slowly in the rear over a week or so.

Any ideas on what I should try next? The HDC not available and amigos are on at all times and can't be cleared, just immediately as soon as the ignition is turned on every time.

Post #700031 13th Sep 2024 8:50am
D3Jon

United Kingdom 

Have you calibrated the steering angle sensor?

ABS will throw codes and HDC / TC unavailable warnings will show up if it's not been calibrated following tinkering.

Jon 1992 RR Classic 3.9 efi Vogue
2014 Disco 4 HSE
===================
Both my fatties now gone...
Previous: 2011 L322 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE /// 2002 L322 4.4 V8 HSE /// 2009 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 XS /// 2004 Defender 90 TD5 /// 1993 110 V8 Snatch Landrover /// 2005 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE (Aus) /// 1990 110 Isuzu 3.9 County (Aus) /// 1976 Series III Trayback (Aus)

Post #700036 13th Sep 2024 9:40am
btbtbtbt318

Hi Jon,

This is just start car, full lock left, full lock right, centre wheel yes?

Sadly makes no difference. For what it's worth the live display seems to correctly show the direction the wheels are pointing and the adaptive lights turn on some extra left/right turning lights at low speed so it seems to be functioning as well...

I've just run out to try the steering calibration again and the dash is reading transmission fault again, this one I've been able to clear before but it's notable that it's come back, transmission module is also reading U0416 and nothing else.

Checking CANBUS resistance it was showing shorting again after turning the car off and this time not resolving itself after a period of time like it was before, pulling and replacing available module plugs I've got it reading 700 Ohms again which is still incorrect, is something I've had before and I can't strictly work out which thing is causing that reading yet.

Post #700041 13th Sep 2024 10:12am
D3Jon

United Kingdom 

It's not always just lock to lock on vehicle start-up, if you have a LR specific tool (like a GAP IID or similar) then put it into learn mode for the steering sensor calibration.

Jon 1992 RR Classic 3.9 efi Vogue
2014 Disco 4 HSE
===================
Both my fatties now gone...
Previous: 2011 L322 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE /// 2002 L322 4.4 V8 HSE /// 2009 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 XS /// 2004 Defender 90 TD5 /// 1993 110 V8 Snatch Landrover /// 2005 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE (Aus) /// 1990 110 Isuzu 3.9 County (Aus) /// 1976 Series III Trayback (Aus)

Post #700056 13th Sep 2024 1:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1