Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > electric rear seat refuses....I hate this feature
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rangie4fun

Austria 2013 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Barolo Black
electric rear seat refuses....I hate this feature

The first time I used the electric rear seat (the 60 part of the 60/40) folding it refuses to go down. After some trial and error it finally came down. But after that it wouldn't come up again; it only came up about 10 cm and then stopped. Pulling the fuse resolved the problem and it came up again. Right after that I lowered and raised the backrest several times without problem. Some weeks after that it wouldn't fold down Evil or Very Mad Pulling the fuse did the trick again.
Last week the backrest came down immediately and today I tried to raise it again at no avail: it only came up about 10 cm and stopped. Putting down and raising again gave same result. And this for several times. Pulling the fuse(s) didn't change anything in it's behaviour now Big Cry Pulling fuses again several times didn't make any difference. As I read on this forum that maybe moisture or water may have lead to corroded plugs and/or the ECU I decided to check the ECU and its connections. These were as new! No corrosion or signs of moisture anywhere.
I finally put current on the cables from the ECU to the folding motor. And this worked out fine: raising and folding down with no problems at all. After putting plug back in at ECU same problem occurred: only a limited movement of 10 cm back and forth. Also when I stopped the backrest at some halfway position by putting direct current on the leads it only moves the 10 cm when using the controls and having the plugs put back into the ECU.
Has anyone experienced the same sort of problem with the rear seats?
Am I right in thinking that this Hall sensor defines the end stages of the folding and raising? Could this one be at fault? Or are there any other options for this failure?
Many thanks for your thoughts as this is a very critical function for me which I want to resolve ASAP Bow down Bow down Bow down Bow down 2013 L405 3.0 TdV6 Autobiography Barolo Black
2004 L322 3.0 Td6 Vogue Cairns Blue (gone)
2000 P38 2.5 DSE (gone)

Post #696560 20th Jul 2024 7:00pm
Tinman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Silicon Silver

Hi Rangie4fun I had similar problems with mine only it keeps blowing the fuse it is due to return to JLR as they sent it out after replacing the fuse with out finding out why it had blown?

I have bein told that when it is in again they will be pulling carpets up to check the wiring loom.

I would be checking the motor and the seat operation to see if its jamming.

Let us know if you find anything Thumbs Up 2017 SDV8 4.4 silicon silver AB
2012 TDV8 4.4 Stornaway Grey AB
2011 TDV8 4.4 Buckingham Blue
2012 VW V6 3.0 Tougreg

Post #696574 21st Jul 2024 8:11am
marcochezzi

South Africa 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Fuji White

My RHS rear seat back goes down when required and once down stays there, no amount of button prodding resolves this..

I found that disconnecting one or other fuse seems to allow me to get the seat back up, but I hate having to pull that boot panel off, not nearly as well built as my old 322..

Out of desperation and sheer luck I have discovered some time back that if leaving the upper tailgate open and allowing the vehicle to go completely to sleep ( I wait a good 15 minutes at the least..), when at that sleep stage where everything has fully shut down, first pushing and holding on the seat up button in the boot while secondly 'waking' the giant by pressing the door open button on the keyfob remote allows the seat back to miraculously rise to its normal seated position as she slowly comes out of her slumber.. Absurd, I know it, but it works perfectly for me....

Sadly, as soon as the seat is dropped once more the same repeat process applies..

Hate those powered rear seats...

Last edited by marcochezzi on 22nd Jul 2024 9:03am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #696630 22nd Jul 2024 7:45am
Rangie4fun

@marcochezzi, thanks for sharing this! Going to try this when this blockage happens again. Guess we're not the only ones who hate these electric folding rear seats Rolling with laughter

@Tinman, thank you for your thoughts. wiring loom and ECU seem in perfect order, so as you suggest I'm going to check the motor. However it does fold and go back without hesitation when I give direct current to the motor, it's clear thjat it has to work hard for it. Maybe there's too much friction somewhere. Question Or might be the Hall sensor with an odd signal? Question

Anyone removed the seats before to gain access to the motor? Any tips and tricks? Bow down 2013 L405 3.0 TdV6 Autobiography Barolo Black
2000 P38 2.5 DSE (gone)

Post #696631 22nd Jul 2024 8:19am
Tinman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Silicon Silver

I agree electric seats are Censored L322 seats are so much better and give more room when folded. 2017 SDV8 4.4 silicon silver AB
2012 TDV8 4.4 Stornaway Grey AB
2011 TDV8 4.4 Buckingham Blue
2012 VW V6 3.0 Tougreg

Post #696632 22nd Jul 2024 8:20am
marcochezzi

Rangie just remember that absolute shut down is required before you do as I did, if you happen to open any of the doors when she is in full sleep mode, or she is still considering falling asleep then she will wake up and the opportunity will be lost, and you start all over again.. therein the reason I leave the rear upper tailgate open for this exercise..

The motor is reached by removing the lower seat cushion as described here.. https://youtube.com/shorts/UH1BdIlnsDo?feature=share Once the seat bases have been removed then removal of the entire seat framework from the fattie is dead easy, they come apart as left and right units, easiest is to roll the left portion into the boot and slide it out from there, that way you do not cause any door damage.. access to the motors themselves is pretty much visual from what I have seen, admittedly I have not gone down the route of physical motor removal... yet...

Post #696635 22nd Jul 2024 9:19am
Rangie4fun

Thanks marcochezzi! Tried the trick with the upper tailgate, but no luck Evil or Very Mad . The backrest won't do more than 10cm in either direction.
Removed the bottom part and located the reclining motor, but as time went out I played a bit with direct current to the motor (full up and down) and put all together again so I know where to start and what time is involved next time when I'm going to undo the motor from the seat frame. After putting it all in I tried to fold the seat from the switch pack in the boot and all worked as it should Question Shocked Rolling Eyes Did the trick several times; all okay. So wait for the next error Yawn
Guess I'll never understand how a Range Rover really works Rolling with laughter 2013 L405 3.0 TdV6 Autobiography Barolo Black
2000 P38 2.5 DSE (gone)

Post #696669 22nd Jul 2024 8:22pm
marcochezzi

Well done Rangie, go figure… Maybe I’ll give that a try one day just to see if this blessed Fattie decides to miraculously reset herself.. frankly I doubt that even the engineers that designed her understand her fully..

Anyway, our faults are/were different, glad you sorted yours out Thumbs Up

Post #696692 23rd Jul 2024 3:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1