Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > New owner - several little niggles - camera, oil leak etc.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
James23

United Kingdom 
New owner - several little niggles - camera, oil leak etc.

Hello

I've just purchased a 2011MY 4.4 TDV8 and have a few little niggles I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction on.

Front left camera not working, just shows a blue screen - I've seen something about a replacement loom?
Minor oil leak towards rear of the engine possibly RHS, not had a proper chance to get underneath and have a good look yet but any common leaks?
Potential battery drain - if left more than 2 days it won't start (doesn't even crank), I've bought a new battery as it looks to be the original but I can't fit it yet as I've not got a diagnostic thing to reset the BMS. Hopefully just an old battery passed its best.
Squashed heatshield the propshaft centre support bearing - I'm guessing it's not meant to look like this?
I have some wiring that looks like it's been cut off near the air suspension tank along the RH sill - any ideas what this is/was for?

That's all for now - I'm sure there will be plenty more in the future!

Cheers

[/u]

Post #696554 20th Jul 2024 5:54pm
Paul H

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

not sure about the loom but the camera is still available form Landrover at around £450 or so each....... finding them second hand is like finding hens teeth.

If you take out the foglights you can reach round and find the back of the camera and check to see whether it is connected properly - which may be worth a try? Otherwise it is a bumper off thing. altho in fairness the quality of the images is pretty poor!

When you reverse at night you will also discover that is quite challenging as the reverse lights don't illuminate the road but point half heartedly straight out... I got these and they are worth their weight in gold, still not perfect but better than the usual aftermarket ones you see with 3 LEDs https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006538...1802nVTTzq 2011 L322 Autobography - a lot of bells and some of the whistles...owner with no idea!

Post #696563 20th Jul 2024 8:38pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

Each to their own, but the 360 cameras are such poor quality, even on the L405 that they're practically useless and I never use them.

Oil leak wise check it's not the oil cooler leaking (very common issue). The other common leak is the o-rings on the oil feed hoses at the top right (if facing the front of the car) of the engine. The oil works its way down onto the bell housing.

Regarding the battery, the BMS will learn a new battery over time, so there's no harm in changing it. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #696569 21st Jul 2024 1:10am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Do a search for oil cooler leaks on this forum and you will find plenty of info on this universal problem. Pity as most cars now should have had this fixed but maybe it's on it's 2nd failure....
Just change the battery and see what happens - you will need a special security 5 star key to remove the ECU but again plenty of info on here with a few search words.
Wiring in the boot could be for the towbar? 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #696578 21st Jul 2024 8:40am
James23

United Kingdom 

Paul H wrote:
not sure about the loom but the camera is still available form Landrover at around £450 or so each....... finding them second hand is like finding hens teeth.

If you take out the foglights you can reach round and find the back of the camera and check to see whether it is connected properly - which may be worth a try? Otherwise it is a bumper off thing. altho in fairness the quality of the images is pretty poor!

When you reverse at night you will also discover that is quite challenging as the reverse lights don't illuminate the road but point half heartedly straight out... I got these and they are worth their weight in gold, still not perfect but better than the usual aftermarket ones you see with 3 LEDs https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006538...1802nVTTzq

Oof £450! I hope it's just disconnected then!
Thanks for the tip about the reverse lights.

garyRR wrote:
Each to their own, but the 360 cameras are such poor quality, even on the L405 that they're practically useless and I never use them.

Oil leak wise check it's not the oil cooler leaking (very common issue). The other common leak is the o-rings on the oil feed hoses at the top right (if facing the front of the car) of the engine. The oil works its way down onto the bell housing.

Regarding the battery, the BMS will learn a new battery over time, so there's no harm in changing it.

They aren't great quality but if something is fitted I'd like it to work.
Ah okay, I have heard about the oil coolers on these, I'll do a search on where to look to see if it is that. Will check out the oil feed hoses too thank you.

Oh okay thank you I will get it swapped then. Would I be better off registering the change in a week or two once I've sorted some diagnostics out or just leave it?

Jaygee - thanks. I guess it will be the oil cooler then I will have a look today.
The wiring is not in the boot it's under the car at the sill where the air suspension tank is approximately where the drivers door is.

Thanks for the replies so far guys

Post #696579 21st Jul 2024 9:08am
Dutchgit

Germany 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Wiring might be a for the TPMS antenna ?

Post #696587 21st Jul 2024 11:00am
Epson Green

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Paul H wrote:

I got these and they are worth their weight in gold, still not perfect but better than the usual aftermarket ones you see with 3 LEDs https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006538...1802nVTTzq

They look interesting. How do they look on the car? Can you post a photo? Kevin
2012 L322 Westminster 4.4 TDV8
1999 P38A 4.0 SE - Sold

Post #696622 21st Jul 2024 9:57pm
Paul H

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

looks a lot smarter than the 3 LED ones I think/.

Click image to enlarge
 2011 L322 Autobography - a lot of bells and some of the whistles...owner with no idea!

Post #696639 22nd Jul 2024 9:28am
Epson Green

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Totally agree, worth a try.

Many thanks👍 Kevin
2012 L322 Westminster 4.4 TDV8
1999 P38A 4.0 SE - Sold

Post #696647 22nd Jul 2024 11:12am
James23

United Kingdom 

I've taken the oil cooler off - it is a Mann+Hummel from 2016. From looking at the MOT history it's done 75-80k miles but looks like it's been leaking for a while. Bought a Nissens one to replace it.

Click image to enlarge

Post #696953 26th Jul 2024 6:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1