Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Blower motor failure? Fan speed oscillating above 2nd speed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
afirestine

United States 
Blower motor failure? Fan speed oscillating above 2nd speed

I'm dealing with an intermittent problem. I initially had no blower motor whatsoever and a battery drain, which I traced to a bad final stage resistor. I replaced that and regained use of the blower motor. Now, about 300 miles later, the fan speed is oscillating above the second speed setting. Set it at 2 and it's fine but 3-7 it makes an oscillating sound and will not run at the set speed. This happens about 50 percent of the time I'm driving, the rest of the time it's normal. Is this a sign the FSR is going again or a sign that I should be preparing to replace the blower motor?

Post #694393 13th Jun 2024 8:49pm
WeiB.beer

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Fuji White

I’m suffering with this exact problem.

My FSR failed (due to a faulty but still working fan), I replaced the FSR and a then a few months later the fan.

So I know my genuine fan is working well but about a month of the new fan being installed I started to experience this oscillation, my gut feeling is that the time the FSR had with the faulty old fan damaged it somewhat.

Post #694877 22nd Jun 2024 8:58am
afirestine

United States 

That stings. You got a month out of the new fan before this sympom appeared? Did you have the symptom before the FSR went? Based on your experience, it sounds like I should plan on swapping the FSR at the same time the fan is swapped. I dread this repair but am hopeful that it will fix it. It's going to be over 100 degrees through September, not having the fan isn't an option.

Post #694921 23rd Jun 2024 12:51am
WeiB.beer

I have never suffered the oscillation before, the FSR replacement is pretty easy so at least that’s a bonus! I’d try replacing the FSR before contemplating blower replacement.

Post #694929 23rd Jun 2024 9:00am
afirestine

United States 

Click image to enlarge

I swapped the FSR this morning. It's only been in the vehicle for a short time, a couple of months maybe. Interestingly, it shows some signs of corrosion or burned spots. I'll continue to monitor the blower operation. You're right, it is much cheaper to replace the FSR, but I have to imagine that the damage to the FSR is being caused by the blower motor.

Post #696447 18th Jul 2024 4:13pm
WeiB.beer

While trawling eBay last night I found this low cost FSR, maybe worthwhile trying a new one seeing the low cost?

Click image to enlarge

Post #696449 18th Jul 2024 4:22pm
SeldomSeenKid

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

afirestine wrote:
Click image to enlarge

I swapped the FSR this morning. It's only been in the vehicle for a short time, a couple of months maybe. Interestingly, it shows some signs of corrosion or burned spots. I'll continue to monitor the blower operation. You're right, it is much cheaper to replace the FSR, but I have to imagine that the damage to the FSR is being caused by the blower motor.

Is multiple FSR blowing after install not a sign of motor failure? Pulling too much current.

I've been looking at threads and videos regarding dash removal as I'm thinking about eventually upgrading my head unit and the recommendation is to just replace the fan while you're in there. ---------------------------------
2008 L322 Supercharged
2007 Porsche 987 Boxster S
2021 BMW iX3

Post #696450 18th Jul 2024 4:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1