Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L460) > Heated Steering Wheel Fault, Turns Off After 20 Min
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ATB

Heated Steering Wheel Fault, Turns Off After 20 Min

L460 Range Rover Heated Steering Wheel Fault, Turns Off After 20 Minutes and Won't Turn Back On (For googling purposes).

Hi All,

I've got a problem on my '73 plate L460 with my heated steering wheel, it turns off after 20-30 minutes and then wont turn back on. I have bad circulation and get very cold hands when driving long journeys and use my heated wheel all the time even in summer.

The first time I reported it Land Rover said that was how they were meant to operate but then agreed to fit a new wheel under warranty.

This cured the problem for a few weeks and on the first long drive I went on it stayed on for 2 and a half hours, something it had never done before. Great!!! I thought, I can now have it on the whole time like my previous Range Rovers and not have to stop to reset it after 30 minutes.

On the long drive home it stopped working again and turned itself off about 30 minutes into the drive and would then not turn back on even when the wheel was completely cold.

Land Rover are saying it is a safety feature and it is meant to do this but it was obviously fixed and working properly on the long drive and stayed on (like every other Range Rover I have ever driven).

It cannot be a safety feature that needs the vehicle turned off and on to reset the wheel before it is turned on again, there must be a problem with the thermostat thinking it's getting too hot and tripping out or something.

Has anyone else had this problem? I found this other thread that suggests I'm not the only one.

https://www.rangerovers.net/threads/heated...en.356010/

Last edited by ATB on 15th Jun 2024 1:13pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #694349 13th Jun 2024 7:42am
Autobiography

2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

To be honest I’d struggle to see this as a fault. I can absolutely manage this isn’t the design intent for the technology and there would be a degree of timeout feature built in. Sorry this isn’t helpful but I doubt you’ll find many others who has this on continuously for more than a few minutes…

Post #694397 13th Jun 2024 9:18pm
ATB

It may be that not many other people have it on as much as me, but just because you don't see it as a fault it doesn't mean it isn't one!

On every other Range Rover I've ever had or driven, you can leave the wheel on constantly. And indeed it was working as intended for a short time.

It is obviously a fault if you cannot turn it back on again without turning the car off and on again, when the wheel is stone cold.

Post #694403 13th Jun 2024 10:24pm
Autobiography

2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

You’ll need to pickup with LR then. If they aren’t saying it’s a fault, you aren’t going to get very far…particularly if they’ve already changed the steering wheel once and it’s the same.

Post #694506 15th Jun 2024 7:14pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

No personal experience of this, but I see that if one goes into Eco Mode that automatically switches the heated wheel off, might the car be putting itself into Eco Mode (assuming you have not selected that mode) e.g. due to a software fault?

Incidentally my sympathy to you for having poor circulation in your hands, I have a bit of vibration white finger and it's no fun. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #694520 15th Jun 2024 11:02pm
ATB

Thank you for the helpful suggestion, I don't think it is that though as it happens on the motorway when I haven't changed anything and I haven't seen any change of mode flash up or anything.

It's booked back in in August, as that was the first slot they have, they must either have sold so many that they all need servicing or there must be so many faulty vehicles that they are booked up two months in advance!

Autobiography wrote:
You’ll need to pickup with LR then. If they aren’t saying it’s a fault, you aren’t going to get very far…particularly if they’ve already changed the steering wheel once and it’s the same.

It's not the same, it worked properly for a few weeks and now is broken again, as I said, presumably it is some design fault with the thermostat, as there are other people saying they're having this problem in the link I posted above so I'm not the only one. It was also just one of the girls on the service desk saying she thought that's how it's meant to be when she clearly has no idea!
When I pushed them last time they finally admitted it was a fault and the same will happen again. They can't deny that it being a "one use" heating wheel is not the way it is intended to operate.

Post #694534 16th Jun 2024 10:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1