Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Managing oil dilution and DPF blockages in an SDV8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Silverstone

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Loire Blue
Managing oil dilution and DPF blockages in an SDV8

After ten years on the RRSport forum and 5-6 years with a 2012 5.0 Supercharged it is time to change and I want to go to a 2016-2017 FFRR. I don't need 'all the toys' and considering a Vogue or Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8.

My concern is that I only cover 3-4000 miles a year and trips are only four miles to and from the office plus the occasional longer trip. This site has been an invaluable source of information and I have spent plenty of time ready about DPF regeneration, oil dilution, etc if I go for a 4.4 SDV8.

I wonder if I go into diesel ownership with my eyes open I can manage the issues caused by short trips and would appreciate the opinion of the FFRR group. With my current 5.0 Supercharged Sport I have it serviced every year/ after 3-4000 miles. Even if I dropped this to say every nine months/ 2.5-3k miles would I be able to cope with the oil dilution issue. Does this sound reasonable?

The main issue is DPF management. The car is likely to fail to complete DPF regens due to the high number of short trips. Can I safely manage this by (i) taking the car for a 30 minute run on a dual carriageway if/ as/ when the yellow light comes on or (ii) have the DPF cleared say every six months by a professional firm? Some forum members would keep hooked up an IID device to tell when the car has started a regen. I am not that tech minded (being a lowly chartered surveyor). Hence looking to rely on (i) or (ii) above ... or any other easy way to manage DPF blockage issue and on a car used predominately for short journeys.

Does using a higher quality fuel such as Shell V Power diesel make a significant difference?

The alterative is to go again for the 5.0 Supercharged - I've lived with the 16MPG and c.£700 annual car tax. However, the 5.0 Autobiography is a more expensive outlay second hand and I really don't need the extra performance.

Thank you on advance for your feedback.

Post #693812 3rd Jun 2024 9:35am
baz000000

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I have owned a SDV8 RR for well over 2 years now covering 8,000 miles and had no problems with DPF or fuel dilution on my regular 3 mile to 10 mile drives. The oil service is called for every 12 months by the onboard computer. You do know that the DPF regen comes on from time to time with the burning smell and heat emanating from under the car.

So long as you have some open roads where you can maintain 50mph plus speeds for a while all seems fine in my World. It might be different if you live in a town or city doing those miles. Even with my short journeys the car averages overall 29mph.

Post #693821 3rd Jun 2024 11:35am
Silverstone

Thank you Baz. Luckily, my drive is from village to town and back via A roads and a section of dual carriageway so it might just be ok.

Post #693825 3rd Jun 2024 11:42am
ReggieMac

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I also only do mostly short trips, though I do have a longer 50-60 mile round trip every few weeks. That said I still only cover max 4000 per year. I have had no issue with my 4.4 over the last year but I do insist on an oil and filter change between annual service. This is actually a very simple job using the vacuum extraction method. An initial layout of between £40-£60 for the pump and then you can do your own oil & filter changes for about £60-£80 as often as you like if oil dilution is a major factor.

That said this does only address the oil dilution part though, you do still need to look after that DPF as you do not want that getting blocked and giving you the red warning of death on your dash!

For me, an occasional run out with a brief spell of driving like I stole it (where legally possible of course Whistle ) is not only enjoyable but seems to keep the old girl happy regards regens.

I did also follow the guide and advice here https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic60839.html?highlight=nerd and monitor regens and just to be safe. Very easy to setup even if not technically minded. _______________________________________________

2019 4.4 V8 Diesel Range Rover Autobiography, Byron Blue

Post #693836 3rd Jun 2024 1:16pm
Silverstone

How often do you need to go for the brisk blast to keep your DPF happy?

Post #693838 3rd Jun 2024 1:22pm
ReggieMac

It is mileage based but for me personally I usually do it once every couple of months for about 20-30 minutes down some 'A' roads and dual carriageway. You dont have to thrash it to be fair, usually a steady 50-60 mph for 20 minutes is fine for a regen, the tricky bit with the fatty, unless you are monitoring it as per the link I posted, is that you can never tell when a DPF regen is required or in process A drop in realtime MPG can be an indicator of a regen in process though. _______________________________________________

Post #693839 3rd Jun 2024 1:47pm
Spridget

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Corris Grey

Sorry, senior moment. Must learn how to delete a post

Last edited by Spridget on 3rd Jun 2024 6:46pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #693851 3rd Jun 2024 5:19pm
Spridget

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Corris Grey

As previously. Mentioned get the Kot Kit and you'll be surprised at how addictive it is. You actually look forward to regens and can bore your friends with soot stories and tales of narrowly missed regens. I've had my TDV6 a year now and still love it

Last edited by Spridget on 4th Jun 2024 3:43pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #693852 3rd Jun 2024 5:21pm
Silverstone

Do you have a link to the kit please? Cool

Post #693855 3rd Jun 2024 5:53pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I'm not sure it's available as a packaged kit, but have a read of the thread linked above.

I've not read it all (just the first page or two) as I do enough long/fast trips that it's not a problem for me

Post #693856 3rd Jun 2024 6:04pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Although I never had any bother with the DPF (despite doing lots of short trips and using supermarket fuel). I just changed my habits and used wifeys car (petrol) for the short trips and occasionally fill the RR tank with V-Power or similar. I also change the oil every 6 months anyway.

Obviously it makes no apparent difference (as I never had trouble in the first place) and I don't want to fill my car with extra gadgets that may (or may not slide around). I like the clean factory fitted look and don't want to obsess on this matter Geoff

Post #693869 4th Jun 2024 9:28am
ReggieMac

I have owned numerous diesels in the past, mostly Mercedes, and not for one second did I even think about the DPF, or even know of it's existence. It is only since I bought my FF 4.4 diesel that I have become aware of DPF issues and then started educating myself on prevention, maintenance and monitoring HOWEVER just because ignorance was bliss clearly EVERY manufacturer potentially have the exact same issues with DPF's where fitted. So even though I do monitor my regens I am no longer obsessing as much as I was and only check now and again and have had no issues thus far. As with any car forum you will only hear the horror stories and very rarely the success stories but as always good maintenance, care and attention are key to long and healthy motoring. Thumbs Up _______________________________________________

Post #693872 4th Jun 2024 10:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1