Home > Technical (L322) > Another broken 4.4 TDV8 Engine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RikPerry

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Santorini Black
Another broken 4.4 TDV8 Engine

Hello Gang .

Much like 4RRS my 4.4 has given up its a 2012 Westminster with only 92k miles .. I'm just about to pull the engine to inspect the extent of the damage but I suspect the crank has snapped and I know spares are next to impossible to source currently .. With current values its not really worth getting it repaired any other way than a DIY job .. I'm going to be looking for the tools required eventually and also the spec sheets with build tolerances and torque information for the main and big end caps ect as they seem difficult to find ..

I know some members have been here before so I'm hoping to learn from that experience

Cheers

Rik

Post #691656 1st May 2024 10:25am
mgrover

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

woah thats unfortunate.

i mean these ones aren't really known for a snapped crank tbh.

maybe oil pressure/oil pump issues instead? i guess would oil starvation lead to a snapped crank?

if you can DIY it, i've seen quite a few breakers around, probably best port of call really. Its actually a sport Sad

Not anymore, 4.4 TDV8 now Very Happy

Post #691676 1st May 2024 12:47pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

I would be very surprised if the crankshaft has broken as they are very solid, totally the opposite to the fragile TDV6/SDV6 crankshafts. However both engines run very low oil pressure so if the oil isn't up to spec then there will be bearing issues.

Post #691686 1st May 2024 1:36pm
RikPerry

I'm not fully aware of the failure yet so hopefully as others have said the crank is intact .. It was cranking over faster than normal on attempts by the recovery guy to restart it .. Showing no HP fuel pressure but on swapping the pump still wouldn't fire .. Perhaps a holed piston or something less catastrophic .. I will update once I've got it out and diagnosed .. I did 3 oil changes with the correct oil from a good brand in the space of 4k miles once id bought it to give it a good flush and the best possible chance of living a good life with me but it seems that wasn't enough ..

Post #691690 1st May 2024 1:52pm
Danb_220_2019

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Fuji White

Fast cranking doesn't scream crank issues to me. More likely a broken valve spring or something else at the top end causing a lack of compression. if the crank was broken attempting to spin the motor over would result in at the very least some interesting bottom end noises, but you haven't mentioned that.

What *exactly* were the symptoms of the failure? 2012 (L322) 4.4TDV8 Vogue SE, RSE, Fuji White over Arabica.
Previous V8s: BMW 645Ci, P38 4.6, P38 4.0, Merc CL500
Previous others: Honda x1, Volvo x7, Rover x6, BMW x6, Ford x1, Mercedes x2, Skoda x3, VW x2, Renault x2, Citroen x1, Mazda x3, Nissan x1, Audi x3, Kia x1, Fiat x4, Subaru x3, Austin x2, Triumph x2, Jeep x2, Hyundai x2, Lexus x1, Mitsubishi x1, Saab x2... and some others I've forgotten!

Post #691694 1st May 2024 2:47pm
RikPerry

No noises on cranking after failure ... Under acceleration we got the full dash xmas tree and it coasted to a stop .. i tried a re boot and re start but no joy and faster cranking than i recall before .. AA man said no fuel pressure and put some extra fuel in to be sure it wasn't a false reading that'd caused me to run out of fuel .. still no HP pressure , got it recovered to MDRS thinking it was maybe HP pump or a timing chain but they tried a new pump and got HP pressure but still no start .. they say maybe holed piston but work has stalled there as costs can quickly spiral and my current plan is to recover to me and take over the job ..

Post #691695 1st May 2024 2:56pm
4RRS

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Pop the oil filler cap and see if the simplex chain is still intact. L405 SV Autobiography LWB SDV8, finished in Aston Martin China Grey by ETO division.

Post #691699 1st May 2024 3:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1