Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Which One
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
v40mav

Scotland 
Which One

Ok bit of background - Have a Disco 3 HSE 57 plate - main car - also have a 99 4.0 HSE RR p38 that has been causing me some issues recently so looking at changing to a L322. The RR is used generaly off road and tows a defender on a trailer - The RR seems to hate towing about 3t in total,

Looked today at 2 RR - Had thought that the diesel TD6 would be better option but do like the sounds of the V8 and given that the annual mileage will be under 7500 miles.

Red RR TD6 2002 at 84000 vogue spec - paint a few nicks but prop expected given age
Grey leather 18" alloys no towbar

Green 4.4 V8 54 plate with 93000 vogue - few paint nicks - 19" alloys and removable towbar - albeit its missing !

Have heard that the TD6 is a bit sluggish compared to the TDV6 Disco 3 and V8 is one to go for -

How can you tell if the diff has been changed ?

The dash on the TD6 appears to have some of the LCD display characters / dots missing - IS this a common fault.

The V8 has newer sat nav and TV but could not get a picture earlier -

Any areas to check / pointers - welcome

The TD6 is £1000 cheaper than the V8 but 2.5 yesrs older - reg May 02 V8 Dec 04

or better t hold back and get a lower mileage one

Hugh Disco 3 HSE
Defender TD5 - Cairngorm
90 - modified - truck cab

Range Rover 4.0

Post #7213 12th Sep 2009 6:27pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I can't advise on which one specifically, you have to make that choice yourself, however the TD6 although it IS more sluggish than the TDV6 in your D3, once chipped or remapped it is better than the std TDV6 (IMHO) and not as sluggish, just noisier I guess. (Chipping costs about £450 but the best thing I've ever done to a car)

The V8 petrol models will always be cheaper to buy but check the service history is absolutely bang on, have heard stories that the V8P doesn't like being mistreated. It is lovely and smooth though and sounds nice too.

You have to choose between petrol and diesel firstly, then start looking around. It's a bad time to be buying though, used prices are sky high due to low numbers out there, if you can, hang on till the new year when it's expected to get better. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Last edited by RRUK on 14th Sep 2009 11:48am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #7214 13th Sep 2009 11:05am
v40mav

Scotland 

Good call on waiting - looked at 2 today and they were well absued and overpriced.

Back to drawing board- sensible decision needs to be diesel Very Happy Disco 3 HSE
Defender TD5 - Cairngorm
90 - modified - truck cab

Range Rover 4.0

Post #7220 13th Sep 2009 9:20pm
ken

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Sorry Mav just to balance a Remapped TD6 is nowhere new a standard TDV6 promise. It will pull the trailer thou with its eyes closed

How do I know well theres a Remapped TD6 in my carpark & a standard D3 TDV6 as well chalk and cheese really is

But as you know both vehicles arnt meant for the Traffic Light GP and the FF is a way nicer place to be

Post #7221 14th Sep 2009 6:32am
Full fat not diet

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Mav, a member has just put a facelift V8 up for sale in the FS Section.

Post #7223 14th Sep 2009 8:16am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Not wanting to disagree with Ken, yes the TDV6 is smoother than the TD6, but there is absolutely nothing in it in an out an out drag race between the two vehicles - nether vehicle will pull away from the other. How do I Know? we are running 7 LR vehicles - and believe me we have tried it on several occasions - chipped or unchipped!

The cheaper vehicle is more than likely to be the Diesel long term, not mainly due to cost of the Fuel but due to residual values. I own both Petrol and diesel RR's and have done so since the 1970's - this is my experience.

Money no object and if you don't care about residual values get the 4.4 V8 petrol, or if you can stretch to it ultimately go for the TDV8

Post #7246 15th Sep 2009 9:40am
JMC

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Got to disagree there Vogue. Shocked An old FFRR TD6 won't even look at a chipped D3 TDV6 in a drag race. In fact, the chipped TDV6 isn't too far off the heels of the standard TDV8 up to about 80mph - after which the V8 just sh*ts all over the V6.

Stated performance figures for the TD6 0-60 is 13.2s versus 12s for a standard TDV6 versus under 10s for a chipped one. Neutral The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #7255 15th Sep 2009 4:13pm
Paul J.

England 

Off Topic

Has anyone timed the 0-60 dash for a TDV8 in low ratio ?

I tried this last night to see what the top speed was and found that (according to the speedo) it topped out at 60mph, and seemed to get there rather quickly. Laughing

Paul

Post #7259 15th Sep 2009 9:50pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

JMC wrote:
Got to disagree there Vogue. Shocked An old FFRR TD6 won't even look at a chipped D3 TDV6 in a drag race. In fact, the chipped TDV6 isn't too far off the heels of the standard TDV8 up to about 80mph - after which the V8 just sh*ts all over the V6.

Stated performance figures for the TD6 0-60 is 13.2s versus 12s for a standard TDV6 versus under 10s for a chipped one. Neutral

JMC,

Your figures are wrong, Land Rovers own figures for the TD6 are 12.7 sec 0-62 (note not 60), a chipped one will also do it in a shade under 10 seconds - around the same as a TDV6. We are talking fractions of a second here. If it was 3 or 4 seconds, yes, you would notice a discernable difference. I stand by what I said, there is absolutely no difference in a drag race, neither vehicle could pull away from the other, we have done it and I own both and have no axe to grind either way!

For your own info - real world figures for a TDV8 are 0-60 in 8.66 seconds and 80 in 14.35 unchipped. The biggest difference comes with the 0-90 mph dash down to around 17.75 seconds - that is where the biggest differenc comes!

Post #7260 15th Sep 2009 10:08pm
ken

Vogue My Fleet

2 x SC FFRR
2 x TDV8 RRS
3 x TDV6 RRS
1 x TDV8 FFRR
1 x TD6 FFRR
1 x D3 TDV6

So thats how I know Thumbs Up

plus a few F430's R8 RS4 S4 S5 M3 X5 X6 Cayanne Boxter Cayman 911's CL63 C63 CLS ML63 Plus loads od boring cars as well

Each to their own a Mapped TD6 WILL not out drag a Standard TDV6 in D3 or RRS however a Brabus Smart does Rolling with laughter

However the X5 with the 3.0d engine is way way way better than the FFRR TD6 Confused but of course it dont get muddy but then come to think of it most of you guys dont either Rolling with laughter

Post #7266 16th Sep 2009 7:19am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Each to their own a Mapped TD6 WILL not out drag a Standard TDV6 in D3 or RRS however a Brabus Smart does

Ken, do the maths a std TDV6 is 12ish seconds to 60 a mapped TD6 is 10 ish may be less.

The 3.0 BMW X5 engine has a different tune to the FFRR - different vehicles for different intended purposes. The BM is a road going car with off road capability, the FFRR is an off roader and an excellent road going all rounder that will also tow 3.5 tonnes in luxury.

P.S. your not the only one with a LR fleet - most of mine are used off road virtually every day or towing - one of the benefiits of owning land! Thumbs Up

Post #7270 16th Sep 2009 9:41am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Wow, there's a lot of chest beating in this thread.

I need to get a picture of 'The Scousers'...."calm down!" Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #7271 16th Sep 2009 10:09am
JMC

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Vogue wrote:
we are running 7 LR vehicles

ken wrote:
My Fleet.......

RRUK wrote:
Wow, there's a lot of chest beating in this thread.

I'm not going in for chest beating....... except to mention that my fleet of toys all have my name on the V5's........... Whistle Mr. Green The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #7273 16th Sep 2009 12:47pm
ken

Vogue all I can say is you lucky Censored having land to use them properly Thumbs Up one of the very few on here Thumbs Up

Oh JMC five of the "fleet" do have my name oh six if I put the quad on Rolling with laughter Who cares any how Get a LR product dont really matter which one does it Mr. Green

Last edited by ken on 17th Sep 2009 3:29pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #7278 16th Sep 2009 6:20pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

hi Ken,

yes, all working vehicles, and in the winter are usually full of guns, shotguns, dogs and sporting gear. I am lucky enough to shoot two or three days a week in the season.

The biggest difficulty is keeping them clean as certain people don't like getting into stinky vehicles. It really annoys me when a certain friend always gets in covered in poo - I even threw one out last year as his gun slip had cow jobby all over it, which had transferred to his shooting jacket and onto my sand interior!

The cheaky git wondered what all the fuss was about until I started lobbing 2 dead pheasants which had fallen into a slurry pit into his new Supercharged XK8! he soon got the message Shocked Rolling with laughter

Post #7281 17th Sep 2009 9:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>