Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Best roof rack?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Best roof rack?

I want to start transporting my bikes on the Range Rover. Am I better off getting the genuine Rails, Or is there any aftermarket kit i.e. Thule that's just as good.

Thanks 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #344188 24th Aug 2015 7:29pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Genuine LR ones cost a fortune and TBH unless you're 6 foot 32 tall you run a very high risk of damaging paintwork just getting the bikes up there. Much better off with a towball mounted one. Thumbs Up

Post #344190 24th Aug 2015 7:38pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Depends whether you have a tow ball - and if you do, whether you'll be towing....

I had a Thule which worked very well.

I also had a MaxxRaxx which was OK when towing a boat - and also a genuine RR which was great but couldn't tow at the same time - likewise with a Thule tow ball one which I also had for a while Very Happy

I did used to carry one of these when the bikes were on the roof though Whistle

Post #344192 24th Aug 2015 7:50pm
martinf

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

I have one of these racks http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/shopping/wheel-supports.php

But they do other types. All very good quality

Post #344209 24th Aug 2015 8:54pm
Zirconblue

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

Alistair wrote:
Depends whether you have a tow ball - and if you do, whether you'll be towing....

It also depends what you're towing, you can put motorhome type bike racks on the back of the caravan, or just put the bikes inside it. Some box trailers you can fit bike racks on top of them.

Post #344214 24th Aug 2015 9:12pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Are we not missing an opportunity to sing the praises of the westfalia tow bars? I recon that by the time you've got a westfalia and a shiny new bike carrier, you'll still have change over the cost of a LR roof rack, and you'll have a tow bar as well Thumbs Up And from what I have read the after market cross rails and bars are not that well made, so it's genuine or fixed roof bars, that will sing to you all day long Shocked

At least with the tow bar option you can stick the bike rack in the shed when it's not needed and no one will be the wiser looking at the car, cos there is nothing to see, unless you slip under the rear, then you will see the receiver Shocked Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #344233 24th Aug 2015 11:45pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Get one of those pendle bike rack things and a spare multi height hitch (£95) add that to the cost of the hitch £300, and it's still less than the £750 the roof racks go for, and don't even look at OEM / Genuine rails and cross bars, the last set I saw new were £980 Shocked

And if you have no interest in towing then forget the extra multi height hitch and save another £95 Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #344235 24th Aug 2015 11:56pm
Alistair

Thule wing bars £184

Thule bike carriers £45-70

Whole setup for £400 for 4 bikes

Easy to fit, removes completely, can be used for a roof box, ski carriers etc - new foot pack & can be used on another car, reasonable residual (eBay) value - can get 5 or maybe 6 bikes on a FFRR if you straighten the handle bars

Either option works - it just depends on your preference & constraints Thumbs Up

BTW - French toll roads charge based on height Thumbs Up

Last edited by Alistair on 25th Aug 2015 8:26pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #344278 25th Aug 2015 8:18am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Shocked That works out the price as the towbar option

And you can tow with the towbar option, so that's a plus, and now you it's cheaper in France as well, ++ Thumbs Up

So do you get the toll cheaper if you creep though in access mode Very Happy Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #344358 25th Aug 2015 5:46pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I got some second hand LR sports bars and fitted 4 budget Thule racks to the t track on them.

Second hand bars - £100
4x Thule racks £140

Small folding hop up from builders merchant, £20

£260 all in. Works perfectly👍 I leave the bike racks attached to the sports bars but you need to be strong to fit it to the car once the racks are attached but it is doable and takes 5mins to fit and 10 to load. The small hop up helps. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #344368 25th Aug 2015 7:00pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

I've done bikes on roof bars and they are hard to handle, even road bikes. and you can't trust anyone else to put them on or remove, as there is a big risk of bikes falling off etc. and your arms get tired etc.
if you have a tow bar hitch 'hole' you can get some 50mm box section and make a perfect tray with say four bike capacity, with a slotting in piece for the armature, and use a trailer board and have the bikes at a manageable height.
There is a company in USA that make various bike racks for this size hole called Yakima, and some people have these over here, and they come up on eBay.
Use a lock if you are going though services etc. Cool

Post #344443 25th Aug 2015 11:06pm
Alistair

Be careful buying from the US - they use a 2" receiver which is 52mm - some stuff is manufactured for an easy fit and works on a FFRR, but other stuff it slightly too big and won't go in unless you take a grinder to it.

Having tried just about every option, I preferred rear mounted unless I was towing a trailer with a flat front and then they went on the roof.

Post #344462 26th Aug 2015 7:51am
Zirconblue

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

I think the post was referring to the square hole on the tow armature? Which will be the same size world wide? But you're right towballs in the US are still the old imperial size.

Post #344481 26th Aug 2015 10:33am
miggit

United Kingdom 

^^ Careful bud, over the pond they do not do metric full stop, and the Germans do not do imperial, so while the German Westfalia hitch will measure in at exactly 50 mm square +/- 0 Shocked ( you know that they are precise )

The American ones will be 2" +0.01 / - ? , and if it looks sort of right, then that will do as everyone has a full machine shop under there house, next to the ten car garage with the 2 and 4 poster lifts, all sited in their measly 1000 Acre plot Wink

2" is actually 50.8000 mm and knowing the tolerances that the Germans will have made it to, if it's possible to get a 2" shaft in the receiver you'll probably have to hammer it in, and then it will not come out Shocked I thought that the westfalia hitches had a reputation for the shaft rusting in the armature, that would make it a tight squeeze to start with. Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #344532 26th Aug 2015 3:06pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Just had a dig on the web, the Americans use a 2" ball, we on the other hand are forced to use Metric, even though we invented Imperial (name sort of gives it away), and Brussels has decreed that we must have a 50 mm ball. And while in america you will not be able to hitch up to a euro spec trailer with your USA hitch, in Europe it is not that straight forward.
An american made trailer will couple with a euro ball, BUT, our balls are too small for the American hitch Embarassed And it will jump off the car at the first opportunity Shocked Censored Embarassed
So if you have got an American hitch, remember you need BIG BALLs Rolling with laughter Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #344535 26th Aug 2015 3:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>