Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Range Rover Wannabe
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
AndyLandy

Range Rover Wannabe

Hi folks, I originally put this question in the intro page as I haven't posted before but it is probably better placed here.

I've owned Land Rover's for about 10 years but only extending to a late S111 & at present an ex-MoD defender 110. I've decided that as I'm now officially old (40), I deserve a little bit of luxury and am looking to buy a Range Rover L322.

I'm an aircraft engineer so would be looking to do as much of the maintenance and repairs as possible;

a) because I enjoy it
b) because I don't really want to pay LR labour charges!

I've been trawling your excellent site, there's loads of really helpful and clued up people and info on here which in no small part has helped me to make the decision to go FF and for my budget I'd be looking at a TD6 or LPG 4.4V8. Given the seeming issues with the TD6 transmission, I am leaning strongly towards the V8...and, well, it's a V8! You seem to be able to get more car for your money with the V8 and will return similar economy to the TD6 on LPG.

I would intend to get a scan tool such as the IID to assist with diagnostics, but a question I have is, in the experience of forum members, how many jobs can't be carried out in the home workshop and will necessitate a visit to LR to plug into their diagnostics or require special tools? I have access to most engineering workshop type things such as hoists, hydraulic presses and general tooling so that's not a problem, it's just the visits to LR I would like to keep to a minimum.

I look forward to learning a bit more about these excellent bits of kit. I appreciate that owning one can't necessarily be done on a budget, but I like to do things myself wherever possible.

Cheers

Andy, Salisbury

Post #306089 18th Jan 2015 5:01pm
CEEGEE

United Kingdom 

I am no DIY person when it comes to cars, but one thought is that there is always the option of a good local independent for anything you think might be beyond you and / or your equipment.

In my experience they are at least half the hourly rate of a dealer (mine is £45 per hour) and offer great service Thumbs Up

Post #306092 18th Jan 2015 5:06pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Agree with the above. Plus if you have the tools available, visits to the garage man should be reduced somewhat.

As a side note, I still don't get that a V8 with LPG is preferred on reliability grounds. I agree a V8 petrol is more fitting to the character of the rr, but adding LPG makes a complicated car more complicated and I know more peeps with ZF gearbox issues than with the gm unit. Plus the V8 seems to have cooling and head gasket issues as the years and mileage increase. I know it's been covered to death and not what this thread is about...... I just don't see it......

Get a copy of RAVE which details all the repair procedures etc and there are loads of vids on line for some jobs.

All the best with your search. Excellent buyers info in the wiki.....

And welcome to the forum !

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #306099 18th Jan 2015 5:26pm
jon3929

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Hi Andy,

You sound like a similar story to me - aircraft engineer, just turned forty, lots of Land Rovers in the past, and I bought a Td6 FF 6 months ago..... and I absolutely love it! Very Happy I have a reasonably well kitted workshop and plenty of enthusiasm, and I would say the clue is to know when you can, and when you can't fiddle. This site has helped me no-end, and I am also very fortunate that a very good friend of mine owns an independent LR garage Very Happy I absolutely echo the above about finding a good indy..... Thumbs Up

Not sure I agree with the generalisation about TD6 having a weak gearbox though, sure some people will experience issues (and many reported and discussed on this site!!) but as a % of the fleet?? I use mine for everything including towing caravan and plant trailers and it is superb - engine and gearbox.

Go for it Thumbs Up enjoy looking, cheers, Jon.

Post #306106 18th Jan 2015 5:51pm
v8rich

England 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Bonatti Grey

Seem to be a collection of aircraft engineers getting FFRR. Had mine a month or so, but I'm a year from being 40.

Post #306107 18th Jan 2015 5:54pm
mjdronfield

Must be all that aluminium..... Whistle 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Post #306109 18th Jan 2015 5:59pm
Discotigger

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

+2 to all the guys above... Bow down

I'm an engineer too, not aircraft though, but near enough! I've had my 2005 TD6 FF for two years now and I use it as a daily runner (110 mile round trip to work and back). Done 56,000 miles in that time and never had any real problems, just keep on top of the maintenance (like with any other vehicle).

I am a Land Rover man (I've owned and run many Landies over my lifetime) and I can honestly say the Full Fat RR I have now is the BEST 4x4 BY FAR!!!

Just make sure that you do your research when you're looking for a FF, don't be ruled by your head, when you find the right one you'll know...

Welcome to the Full Fat madhouse!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

OH, and I'm a couple of weeks off turning 50!! Big Cry

Post #306115 18th Jan 2015 6:44pm
AndyLandy

Looks like I may have been a bit previous about my dismissal of the td6, it just seemed that many more people were talking about gearbox issues with the td6 than anything else. It might just be a case of when you look for info on the net, it's only the problems that are reported. The thousands of people that never have a problem are not usually represented as, well, there's nothing to report!

Thanks for all your input guys!

I've been looking at autotrader and there's a few suitable candidates about but I always prefer buying a known vehicle. Could wait ages for one of those I guess...

Post #306118 18th Jan 2015 7:10pm
mjdronfield

Drive a few mate. See what you prefer.

How many miles a year are you doing ?

You can remap a td6 to go from 174 to 225 bhp and another 100 torques........

.....you can add LPG to the bmw 4.4 V8..... Make it more economical..... But you prob guess my view on that one.

If not LPG the jag engined non supercharged V8 petrol gets good reviews on here..... But not the best on lpg I understand.

Or the 4.2 Supercharged if you are not bothered about fuel cost too much.

All tend to suffer the same other issues, so check for rust on the rear wheel arch lips and for water in the spare wheel well.

Check all the electrics work, the suspension goes up and down and that it will go in and out of low range.

Check the steering wheel goes in and out and also up and down.

They are sensitive to battery issues, so make sure it's fairly new, or use as a bargaining point.

You will prob be buying outside of the LR dealer network due to age etc, but you may still be able to get a warranty with the purchase and renew it each year. I did......

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Post #306123 18th Jan 2015 7:25pm
v8rich

England 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Bonatti Grey

Out of interest, what is your budget? How far are you prepared to travel?

Have you had a look through the sales section in here? I'd rather buy one off an enthusiast that knows the niggles with them, and has maybe sorted some.

Post #306130 18th Jan 2015 7:39pm
AndyLandy

I only do about 6-8000 miles a year but that's in the defender. I dare say if I had something really nice to drive that would go up a fair bit!
Part of the idea of the ff is to enable us to take the safari caravan I've just spent three years restoring over to the continent for holidays. Long journeys in the defender just aren't feasible...no soundproofing, no headlining and certainly no tv for the kids!

Post #306133 18th Jan 2015 7:45pm
AndyLandy

Yes I'd much rather buy a known vehicle from a forum member. I've realistically got 11k but I'd rather keep a bit back for the unforeseen so 8-9 I guess...

Post #306134 18th Jan 2015 7:48pm
Pixelpower

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Santorini Black

I've just bought a new 405 which arrives in March. Still toying with what to do with my 54 plate L322 which is an amazing car. If I sell it for 8k someone will get a bargain as I've sold good cars in the past and regretted it. No gearbox issues. Had it chipped a couple of years and it does 24 mpg on an urban commute. It's done 93k now but never missed a beat. Only minor niggle is the engine noise, which is much improved in later models. Easily fixed with an gentle right foot, silent when cruising. Don't be put off by the gearbox issues, I've had several 911's, R8, etc. and I enjoy driving the FF more. We'll I am 45 now!

Post #306137 18th Jan 2015 8:07pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Andy, similar situation to me when I bought my first L322.

Like you, we own a modified 110 and a Series III and I wanted something LR that was luxurious for the drive into work and on the odd holiday. In this weather, the heated seats and 'wheel are worth the expense alone.

I went with the BMW 4.4 V8 in my first one, and a forum member's car, which was wonderful. Your budget will get you a lovely V8.

Good luck with your search. Be patient and the right one will soon find you. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #306138 18th Jan 2015 8:20pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Echo most of the above, apart from, personally I can't see the argument for the TD6, a V8 with LPG is faster, smoother, and more economical....

With an IID tool you will be able to do anything that the dealer can, it is an easy car to work on compared to earlier LR products... I have done all the repairs, servicing and Mods on mine and never been near a dealer or independent, a twin post lift make things much easier of course but you will have no problems doing it on the drive....

The most difficult thing is to diagnose faults, but luckily, with them being repaired at home now, there is the information out there in "google" land....

So go for it, you won't regret it....

If you want a chat about anything, drop me a PM for my number... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #306144 18th Jan 2015 8:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>