Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Tailgate glass lower finishing trim
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bebechoon

France 
Tailgate glass lower finishing trim

The generosity of the experts on this forum in sharing their knowledge has been of enormous help to me since I discovered it and became a member. Indeed most of the questions I had have been covered and answered in member posts.
Having been of so much help to me, I would like my first post to give something back, something that may be of interest and/or help to others.
The tailgate glass lower finishing trim on my 2004 (2005 spec) L322 had deteriorated badly and was unsightly - the rubber seemed to have dry rot and was steadily breaking off in little bits. Others seem to have had similar problems: http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-r...indow.html on another forum, or have wanted info on removing/replacing this part here: http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic12945....glass+trim and http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic8250.h...indow+trim.
Based on the comments posted, I plucked up courage and with the help of lashings of washing-up liquid removed the trim on mine quite easily by simply pushing the finisher out from one side, using a large, very blunt screwdriver. The finisher was stiff to move at first, moving only half a centimetre each way, but as the liquid soaked in and I worked it back and forth (from one side then the other) the finisher eased off and I was able to move it further and further each time until eventually it slid out fully to one side. (When there was enough to get hold of I was able then to pull it out.) For me, there was no need to pry the trim away from the glass as others have had to do, so there was less risk of glass breakage.
I know it’s a bit late now, but GregP asked – in 2010!!! – if anyone had a pic of the end result. Here are 2 photos of my result. Quite frankly if you didn’t know there should be a finisher there you wouldn’t know it was missing! There were no scratches on the glass or paintwork and you have to look very closely to see any remaining marks of where the trim had been.
I was thinking of buying a replacement trim (Part No. DCD000011PMD) and trying to fit it by sliding it in from the side – again with help from lashings of washing-up liquid – but at around £40 plus delivery I’m having second thoughts …
I imagine this might be a fairly common problem, so I hope this post helps others …

Post #265532 15th Jun 2014 11:50am
Flashman

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Great to see the finished result and recommended method.

On the new L405 they seem to have put the trim back on the lower part of the tail gate (seems to frame the whole window). You would think that LR would make their mind up! Tom

Current Drive
2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Santorini Black - Ivory Leather

Previous Drives
2004 Model Vogue Td6 (Touchscreen) - Java Black - Parchment Leather
1994 RR Classic 3.9 V8 Soft dash - Niagara Grey - Grey Leather
1972 Series III SWB Safari - Green (Hand Painted) - Black Plastic

Post #265560 15th Jun 2014 3:09pm
Welshdragon

Wales 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

Just done mine not sure if I should replace it or not, trim or not to trim is the question ! If it dont work.......burn it!

If the IId tool cant fix it.......burn the FF.

If the FF cant be fixed......buy a Land Cruiser!

If the LC cant be fixed..............................................BUY a horse !!

Post #280195 10th Sep 2014 4:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1