Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Question about service history?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Elduke

Scotland 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver
Question about service history?

Hi folks

Ive have been on the lookout for a vogue for the past couple of months and have recently come across one that may fit the bill and the seller states that it has a full history. However up until its last service earlier this year(just after the current owner got it) there is almost a 3 year gap in the history between services during which time it is said to have covered only 15000 miles in 3 years.

Car has just over 100k at the moment and its an lpg.

My question is does this look a bit suss as the current seller cant explain it as never asked the previous owner. Also would it lessen its resale value when I come to move it on?

Cheers

Post #184250 23rd Apr 2013 4:49pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

A 3 year gap is a lot, even if the mileage in that 3 years is low. Most on here will have the oil changed annually regardless of mileage.
Has the current owner offered any explanation why there's a gap? I'm sure he would have asked the same question you're now asking. Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #184252 23rd Apr 2013 4:52pm
Elduke

Yeah thanks for that I was thinking 3 years was alot for any vehicle. I suspect the current owner may say it was bought from a dealer hence not being able to ask. Unfortunately its quite a bit away from me so dont want to make the journey to find out its a wrong un. The condition doesnt look like sky high miles ie little wear on drivers seat but was more concerned that if its putting me off a bit would it put off others as I might only have it for a year or two.

Only other alarm bell would be the dash pixels are broken up and the seller states the mileage can just about be read but I know its a common problem on these.

Post #184255 23rd Apr 2013 5:01pm
alanm_3

What age is the car? Dead pixels are a common problem on earlier cars.
I think possibly of more concern is that it's an LPG conversion and went 3 years without a service, assuming it was fitted before that time, so things might have been missed and could prove expensive. Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue

Post #184257 23rd Apr 2013 5:09pm
Elduke

Its a 2004 plate car on an 04 and I think the lpg was fitted around 2008 at 60K miles. The last service other than the most recent was at 85k in 2010 hence the 3 year gap. As the new owner only got it at the beginning of the year I suppose theres no way of telling as its hpi clear including mileage as far as Iam aware.

Post #184263 23rd Apr 2013 5:48pm
alanm_3

It sounds a bit iffy, but you'd need to take a good look over it to decide and since it's not local, that might prove tricky.

Do you have a link to it so we can see it? Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue

Post #184268 23rd Apr 2013 6:04pm
Elduke

I think I'll leave it to the weekend before deciding to make the trip as sometimes you get to a stage where you dont want to find anything wrong with a car so a bit of time out is needed.

Ive no reason to believe the seller isnt genuine and have just been emailing as the ad was from a while ago thats not to say the previous owners before him were ofcourse.

This will be my first RR so would rather not make a hash of it. Sad

Post #184274 23rd Apr 2013 6:24pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Just replied on your wanted for sale post ….. Thumbs Up

Post #184278 23rd Apr 2013 6:28pm
Elduke

Thanks for that mate I'll definately look into it Thumbs Up

Post #184343 23rd Apr 2013 10:22pm
Rich86

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Nara Bronze

Alan is right in saying that an LPG left for 3 years with no service history is an issue. It's the classic scenario of probably the previous owner buying a dream car and not being able to afford to run it.

Thisis the main reason why I've stayed away from LPG cars as lots have been run extremely frugally when deep pockets are needed with this cars.

Don't worry about the dash pixels as this can be fixed for £100 and there's a website that you can go on to check previous mot history and this will also verify the mileage and will list previous failures or recommendations. As you'll see you need the V5 details.

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history-vehicle

One question you need to ask yourself is why after just a few months is the guy selling the vehicle? Has he made a bad decision and bought a duff car? Does the car have lots wrong and he can't afford to put this right? Have warning lights been coming on and he's switched them off bing they don't reappear before he sells it? There are some crafty people around!

He may have a genuine reason why he's selling of course but when you're shelling out £10k you need to play devils advocate and assume the worst especially with service gaps. Go over everything and every gadget with a fine tooth comb.

Personally my rule is never to buy a car that doesn't have all the history because apart from anything you also need to think about resale when you eventually sell.

Thumbs Up 2009 Vogue TDV8 Nara Bronze
2002 Vogue V8 Zambezi Silver
1986 90 Pick up Deep Bronze Green
1978 Series III SWB Deep Bronze Green

Post #184378 24th Apr 2013 4:51am
Lloyd Barnes

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

There's no shortage of used FFs out there, why buy one you are unsure of? A service from an Indy costs a couple of hundred quid. I'm with the other poster that if previous owner can't afford to service it, what else has been left?

To my mind these are cars where a solid service history is crucial. They're too complex to be left un-maintained. Smile Lloyd Barnes

Current
Crendon 427 Sideoiler Cobra in build... 7 litres of madness!

Gone
2008 TDV8 Vogue - Black with Ivory/Grand Black Lacquer
2008 VW Touareg 3.0Tdi
6.3litre Dax Cobra - 12.34 Second 1/4mile at 114mph Smile

Post #184381 24th Apr 2013 7:19am
Elduke

Thats great info thanks for that guys Thumbs Up

Will definately check out the mot history and mileage if I do decide to go and have a look at it. Resale is probably my biggest issue with it as Iam not sure where I'll be in a year or two time with work so may need to move it on with short notice so would rather have something which I know should sell quite easily.

I can feel a trip up and down the country coming on as theres not many up my way and the ones that are are usually on gumtree and look as rough as Rolling Eyes

Post #184399 24th Apr 2013 8:45am
steptoe

England 

What's "iffey" about it ? It's got service history, done 100K miles and had a three year gap when it only covered 15K miles, - everything is in black and white, nothing is being covered up or misrepresented. . ,

If anything it sounds completely honest.

Post #184416 24th Apr 2013 10:03am
Elduke

Yeah theres probably nothing iffy about it if the mileage checks out with the mots over the 3 years. It seems its just less than ideal as its an lpg and they look like they really need a yearly service.

As I said I havent been to see it yet so it may be mint and if so I could probably forgive it for the gap in yearly servicing as not everyone would cast such a critical eye over the history if they liked it.

Post #184534 24th Apr 2013 8:19pm
jerrytlr

France 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

Not sure what all this stuff about LPG needing more careful servicing is - in 60,000 miles the BRC system on my Subaru has had one 'proper' service, which amounts to a thorough inspection and a new filter, and a second DIY service which entailed changing the filter a second time (they are supposed to be done every 10K miles, but, well, you know how it is.....).

The system has been 100% reliable despite this 'neglect'.

The L322 I recently bought also had a gap in the service history, very similar situation to yours in fact. I HPIed it and the only issue it threw up was an export marker - hmmm I thought, a bit suspicious. The seller scanned all the documentation for me before I went to look at the car. Turns out it was initially bought for and kept at the previous owner's holiday home in Ireland... everything checked out, address of servicing garages in Ireland, even the delivery address on the purchase invoice from when they bought the car.

I probably know more about the history of this 'suspicious' car than any other used car I have ever bought!

You are right to be cautious, but don't immediately assume that unusual = suspicious. Just ask the right questions.

HTH!

Cheers,

Jerry

Post #184552 24th Apr 2013 9:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>