Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Oil leaks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RRBlue

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue
Oil leaks

As I lay under my 4.2 S/C replacing the oil filter, there were some heavy duty oil pipes that appeared to be weeping. They are on the near side, right at the front, feeding into a finned cooler at the front nearside corner of the engine compartment, right at the bottom, just above the sump shield.

I gave them a nip with the spanner and a wipe with an oily rag and will monitor for future leakage. Can anyone confirm what these pipes might be?

Post #181941 9th Apr 2013 7:55am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

They sound like the pipes for the transmission cooler. So definitely something to keep an eye on as the ZF boxes are quite sensitive to leakage.

On a different note, has your cooler been replaced yet. Just have a look at my last ordeal so you understand where I'm coming from Sad

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic17142.html MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #181947 9th Apr 2013 8:31am
RRBlue

Not had the cooler changed.

If the problem is where the pipes couple to the cooler, it may be best to replace the cooler and pipes together: if they are made from dissimilar metals, there may be some electrolytic corrosion.

Unfortunately, I have not long had the transmission oil replaced at great expense.

Post #181984 9th Apr 2013 11:51am
RRBlue

How simple was replacing your cooler. Did you manage it without removing the an etc.

I was wondering whether I could remove it and the oil pipes from underneath the car?

Post #182126 10th Apr 2013 7:12am
RRBlue

Rory or the typo. Should have read: did you remove it without the need to remove the fan assembly

Post #182127 10th Apr 2013 7:13am
ebajema

I believe the guys did it without removing any of the surrounding items. The cooler itself is easy, on bolt at the top to be removed (torx) and lift it up and away from the radiator.

The coolant hoses, difficultish (i did those myself) but doable (very tight pulling them off). The oil hoses, I couldn't get them to release (push the collar into the connector I think) so the guys did that one.

It is just very tight.

As for your oil, you will probably not lose too much of it, just make sure you catch most of it, filter it and put it back in. The trans cooler doesn't hold a lot of oil from what I can see and I doubt the pipes do hold a lot either. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #182133 10th Apr 2013 8:18am
CG-SC

2006 Range Rover Autobiography Supercharged Zambezi Silver
Re: Oil leaks

RRBlue wrote:
As I lay under my 4.2 S/C replacing the oil filter, there were some heavy duty oil pipes that appeared to be weeping. They are on the near side, right at the front, feeding into a finned cooler at the front nearside corner of the engine compartment, right at the bottom, just above the sump shield.

I gave them a nip with the spanner and a wipe with an oily rag and will monitor for future leakage. Can anyone confirm what these pipes might be?

If it's the lower cooler then it's the engine oil cooler and not the transmission cooler........mine are also looking a bit iffy and will be replaced soon ! Stolen / Gone: 2006MY Supercharged LPG Autobiography - Zambezi Silver with Sand/Jet/Jet Oxford Leather.....

Post #182182 10th Apr 2013 2:38pm
ebajema

Have you downloaded the manual that Joe90 found ?? It has all the info you need on the various coolers, how to remove them etc. I just had a look Smile

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic17623.html MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #182185 10th Apr 2013 3:20pm
RRBlue

I have downloaded the manual which is very helpful but which describes the lengthy process of removing the fan etc to get to the transmission cooler!

However, I have also checked again and it does appear to be the connections to the engine oil cooler that are weeping.

Will have a proper look in the daylight at both coolers as it may be worth doing them both at the same time if they look dodgy, then only need to mobilise once with all the removal of shields, draining coolant and all that stuff.

Post #182382 11th Apr 2013 12:43pm
ebajema

Good luck and please keep us posted Wink MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #182396 11th Apr 2013 2:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1