Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Why 12V DC in cars?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Rambles

2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Why 12V DC in cars?

would AC be better?
would a lower or higher voltage be better?

Post #159513 23rd Dec 2012 1:24pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i remember when cars were positive earth... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #159516 23rd Dec 2012 1:53pm
47p2

Scotland 

I have a a positive earth car Shocked

Post #159522 23rd Dec 2012 2:07pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Probably they are dc because the electricity was originally provided by a dynamo, prividing DC, also never heard of a AC battery. The altenators on modern cars produce AC current which is turned into DC to power stuff.

As to the voltage. Question

Cant see a good reason for 12v, it seems a bit arbitary..... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #159524 23rd Dec 2012 2:11pm
ahebron

New Zealand 

It is most likely because it was a happy medium between then current draw and voltage. Some of us will have experienced the old 6 volt cars and remember how feeble the electric system was. Nowadays modern cars are drawing huge current so everything has to had to be upgraded.
Watts = volts x amps.
I recall a few years ago manufacturers toying with the idea of higher voltages to run specific items in cars but that means two electrical systems and all the problems that can cause. Funnily enough the voltages are nearly always divisible by 12.

Adrian VW Amarok 2014 Highline auto

Post #159656 23rd Dec 2012 10:13pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

OK, form what I know of this, it originally was 6 volts and the wet cell was only used to power the lamps front & rear. In the early days these replaced the gas lamps which had been used until that time. At this point the engine's ignition system remained magneto based.

6 volt wet cells became the norm up to the changeover period in the 50's/60's. Remember 6 volt Beetles?? And also the MGB/GT which went to 12 volts by putting 2 x 6 volt batteries in series. Laughing

Not long after the 12v change, a lot of cars were still positive earth but this had a detrimental effect on aiding rust and corrosion. Go read about anodes and cathodes if you really fancy a nosebleed. Anyway, negative earth then became the standard and is what we have today pretty much globally. As for DC versus AC, how many AC batteries have you seen? Wink It's all about having a useable on board power source for starting etc.

So, about 10 years ago there were discussions about 48 volt systems for cars due to ever-increasing demands being placed upon the 12v systems, as indeed we see with the well documented battery issues in FFRR's. It came to nothing in terms of agreements although it is likely to re-surface at some point, especially with hybrids being a reality now. 48 volts incidentally is the choice of datacentres where safe voltage power supplies come from UPS to rack as it is the highest voltage which is considered to be universally safe to humans. But the underlying principles are that it is easier to use a high voltage to force a lower current through a circuit than it is to use a lower voltage to force a higher current.

So there you have it. Very Happy

Post #159666 23rd Dec 2012 10:30pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Im convinced. Very Happy

Though i think the voltage humans can tolerate is much higher, its the amount of current which kills you.... A low voltage shock can do a lot of damage if its accompanied by high current, whereas a hight voltage low current shock can be tolerable. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #159676 23rd Dec 2012 10:46pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

very informative Dom.. Thumbs Up

i wonder what benifits having 24volt systems on trucks is.... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #159679 23rd Dec 2012 10:49pm
oldcro

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

northernmonkeyjones wrote:
Im convinced. Very Happy

Though i think the voltage humans can tolerate is much higher, its the amount of current which kills you.... A low voltage shock can do a lot of damage if its accompanied by high current, whereas a hight voltage low current shock can be tolerable.

I think it is the other way round. Tazers shock you with 50,00 volts yet, when I worked in a chlorine plant the cells had 300,000 amps at 4.5 volts running through large exposed copper bus bars. Loads of magnetism in the air but no fear of harmful electric shocks.

Post #159682 23rd Dec 2012 11:03pm
JAYBOY

Wales 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

northernmonkeyjones wrote:
Im convinced. Very Happy

Though i think the voltage humans can tolerate is much higher, its the amount of current which kills you.... A low voltage shock can do a lot of damage if its accompanied by high current, whereas a hight voltage low current shock can be tolerable.

Your sort of right.
I'm an electrician by trade. there is a big difference between AC voltage and DC voltage. it would be a nightmare to have AC working on a car. DC from a battery is easy to deal with. A person could deal with touching up to about 48v AC with out really feeling it. I think other reasons they only use 12v is they use the body work of the vehicle as the earth or return path. 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Post #159683 23rd Dec 2012 11:07pm
ahebron

New Zealand 

stan wrote:
very informative Dom.. Thumbs Up

i wonder what benifits having 24volt systems on trucks is....

Double the volts half the amps, therefore starting current is less than if 12 volt.
Remember watts = volts x amps so if either V or A increases then the other decreases.
Less amps means less copper and smaller components.
Another example is when people use inverters to convert DC to AC.
A lot of domestic systems are running at 48 volts dc which means quarter the current of a 12 volt system.

Adrian VW Amarok 2014 Highline auto

Post #159730 24th Dec 2012 12:13am
mzplcg

Yep, so as said/surmised above, current is more damaging than voltage but the last line is that voltage provides the EMF (electro-motive force) which drives or powers a circuit. Without voltage a current can never flow.

Recalling my days at Uni we even discussed whether a current was actually electrons flowing from negative to positive, or if indeed it was holes in matter flowing from positive to negative, the properly deep philosophical theory behind electricity. Anyway, the outcome is basically identical, you create a potential difference between 2 points, thus creating the positive & negative and the voltage (PD) across those 2 points is relational to the amount of force (EMF) being applied to the circuit, i.e the number of volts and it can be thought of as the "series" part of the circuit.

So, current, or amperes if you prefer. This is the "mass" of electrons moving in the same direction at the same time, in a parallel fashion. Think of them as the momentum of the circuit, or the weight of matter being moved. Mass is a better word but more people understand weight - very similar. to put in more layman terms, which would hurt you more, a glass marble fired at you from a catapult, or a balloon fired at you from a shotgun (assuming it were possible of course) ??? The mass of the marble inflicts far more damage. This is the current, a high amperes value.

So, to try and answer Stan's question about 24v trucks etc. Big engines need a lot of power to start them, specifically a massive amount of maintained torque. Think of torque as intertia in a rotary fashion. So, to try and maintain that torque it is easier to use a "faster" series (linear) force (EMF) to drive the same parallel force of amperes otherwise the cables become thicker than your fist in order to give the parallel capacity.

In really basic terms, high voltage moves electrons fast with voltage being the energy which does the moving. High current moves a lot of electrons which are the mass being moved. They combine to form a unit of power which most of us know as the Watt but as can be seen form the above, the amount of watts is not the whole picture. 6 volts driving 100 amps won't kill you whereas 100 volts driving 6 amps probably would. Same amount of watts (600) though.

Who's asleep so far??

Right AC versus DC. DC is easier to store in a battery, or portable static power source and it also provides approximately 1.414 times the amount of energy (most correctly rated in joules) which is referred to as the RMS value (root mean square average) and this comes about because DC is constant voltage whereas AC is an alternating voltage which ranges so many times per second (the Hz value) between +ve and -ve. During this cycling there is a point where the EMF is at zero volts as the sine wave transitions from positive to negative. Therefore, using the RMS average value, you only get about 0.707 the amount of effort from 12v AC as you would from 12v DC assuming all other factors remain constant.

See? Clear as mud.

Post #159733 24th Dec 2012 12:22am
JAYBOY

Wales 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Understood Thumbs Up 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Post #159734 24th Dec 2012 12:27am
Joe90

England 

When I get my starship, will you be my Scotty, Dom, and look after the dilithium crystals Question Bow down .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #159742 24th Dec 2012 2:57am
mzplcg

Aye Captain, it will be a privilege Sir. Just remember, you cannae change the laws of physics! Rolling with laughter

Post #159746 24th Dec 2012 8:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>